Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Day 2: Choosing a Direction

Day 1 felt good. It told me who I do want to work with and who isn't on that list. I don't know that I'm much closer to having a solid business plan, but I'm a step closer.  Today's topic in the Book Yourself Solid playbook is choosing a target market. This is the group of people where your ideal clients are most likely to be found. Your target market must be specific enough and it must be the right one for you.

I have decided that I want to help writers, and not just any writers but writers at that crucial beginning stage of the process when they are still developing their ideas. My friends who are writers have told me I'm kind of a "book muse" - I am good at helping them to develop concepts and brainstorm ideas. I'm especially good at helping fiction writers, although I'm good with non-fiction writers, too. Concept development assistance for writers is too wordy, but it's the service I provide.  I am a book muse and I provide concept development assistance for writers. I could see introducing myself that way. The Book Muse: Providing concept development assistance for writers.

Question is - would anyone pay me for that service and how much should I charge? Is there a way to automate such a service?

1.2.4 What are five of your clients' urgent needs?
- To find an idea for a direction to head with a story
- To finish their book on time
- To come up with an idea for a story
- To overcome writer's block
- To clarify their ideas and select the one that works best

After looking over this list, I wonder if perhaps there are editors who would appreciate having someone they can call to help inspire authors that are struggling. I think it would be a valuable service to book companies and might well be a way to earn income while getting to work with the very people I enjoy working with most.  Oh, and agents. That's another possibility.

1.2.5 What are five of your clients' compelling desires
 - To support their families with their writing
 - To achieve success
 - To keep their fan base happy and growing
 - To get their message out there
 - To be able to write full-time

1.2.6 What is the biggest result I provide?
- Get your book finished! (for authors)
- Your client's book finished (for agents)
- The book finished on time (for editors)

The Financial, Emotional, Physical, and Spiritual Rewards.  These must be evident before clients will purchase and the minimum they should receive in terms of return on investment is 20 times what you are asking them to pay.  People aren't buying what you do, they are buying the solutions you provide.

1.2.7. What are the deep-rooted benefits clients will experience as a result of your services?
 - Relief from the stress of worrying about finishing your book
 - Confidence in the direction your book is heading
 - Pleasing fans without selling out
 - Connect more powerfully with the message that you want to share and the people who need it most
 - Have more time doing the writing you love and less time worrying about moving past writer's block






No comments:

Post a Comment